Industrial designs represent the legal protection for form/shape/configuration creations such as the ornamental aspect of an object. It consists of three-dimensional characteristics, such as the shape and surface of an object, or two-dimensional features, such as lines, motifs patterns and colour.
- Protected object: the external appearance of a product or part of it, but not its technical features.
- Type of protection: exclusive rights to prevent unauthorized reproduction or imitation by third parties.
- Duration: 5 years, extendable up to a maximum of 25. In the case of an unregistered community design, the validity is 3 years from its disclosure.
- Type: National Industrial Design, Drawing and Registered / Unregistered Community Model and International Registry.
- Competent Body:
- National Registers: OEPM Registered (Spain).
- Community Designs: EUIPO (Europe).
- International Registers: The Hague System administered by WIPO
From a technology intelligence approach, there is more information about Industrial Design in #MoocVT Module Technology information management.
More information: WIPO Industrial Designs